DIARY OF A CORPER — EPISODE 7: NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN
The first sign that there was trouble was when I got to work that Thursday morning and found people not just sitting around—but actually working.
Usually, it's me and maybe two other people before everyone else starts strolling in just before midday.
So what was going on?
Did something happen?
And the funny part is, you can't exactly ask anyone. How do I ask a worker why she's at work by 9 a.m. when that's actually the time she's supposed to be there?
The entire office felt different.
Too quiet.
Too serious.
Everyone was glued to their computer screens as if an apocalypse would break out the moment they looked away.
Even the woman who always had one argument or discussion to contribute every morning was silent.
And honestly, I usually enjoy her daily debates.
So what exactly was happening today?
Was the world coming to an end?
I greeted the people in my office and settled into my usual seat.
I had barely spent five minutes there when Chioma, another corps member at my workplace, walked in.
Lately, she had become my unofficial gist partner.
"Dewa, how are you? How are you feeling now?"
"I'm fine, thank you."
Then I leaned closer.
"What's going on?"
Chioma immediately lowered her voice.
"Hmmm. We have a new director o."
"What?"
"Yes o. He resumed on Monday. I think the staff already knew about it before then. Omo, that man is tough. We even had a general meeting. If you see the way he was just listing rules..."
She shook her head dramatically.
"Operation Change has started."
I laughed.
"So that's why everybody suddenly discovered punctuality?"
"As in," she stressed.
"People are even coming before 9 a.m. now. The man asked about you sef."
I almost stood up from my seat.
"Me? How does he know me?"
"Wait. Bassey didn't tell you?"
I shook my head.
Apparently, the new director had held a separate meeting with all the corps members.
He looked around and asked if everyone was present.
When they explained that I was absent because I had been sick, he wasn't impressed.
"He asked why you didn't take formal permission," Chioma said.
"We told him your supervisor, Mr. John, already knew. Baba was still fuming."
Ah.
Wonderful.
The man had not even seen me before, and I was already on his radar.
Just my luck.
Chioma continued.
"Honestly, I'm just happy my sister's wedding is over. Imagine if this happened one month ago. How would I have travelled and stayed that long?"
"This man is determined to stress us."
She started counting on her fingers.
"Attendance signing is compulsory."
"Everybody must resume by 9 sharp."
"Nobody leaves before closing time."
"Especially corpers."
"And if you do—"
She paused dramatically.
"No clearance form for you at the end of the month."
I sat up properly.
Ah.
Now we were discussing matters of national importance.
I sighed.
I had only just started getting used to the flexibility of the office.
Now this man had come to scatter everything.
Then a thought crossed my mind.
With all this restructuring and transformation...
Did the non-payment of corps members change too?
"Would we finally start collecting salary here?" I asked.
"For where?" she replied.
"More like collecting premium wahala."
"Eh God abeg," I muttered.
Honestly, I have no problem with him stressing the actual workers.
At least they're getting paid.
Nobody should come and stress me on top of ₦77,000.
That one is wickedness.
I wondered why Bassey never mentioned any of this.
Or maybe he was too focused on making sure I was okay.
Now that I thought about it, he had been really caring.
He brought me food when I was sick.
Helped me sort out my NHIS registration.
And checked up on me more than once.
A small smile escaped before I quickly minded my business.
"By the way," Chioma said suddenly.
"I'll be going to camp next month."
"Why?"
"I'm among those selected from my CDS group to help train and mentor the incoming OBS members."
I frowned.
"What about your new sheriff?"
She laughed.
"The LGI will write me an official letter."
"Lucky woman," I said. "I need a break too. Maybe I should switch my CDS to Editorial and Publicity."
"Ehn!"
She pointed at me.
"We don't want you there. Stay in your Culture and Tourism."
We both burst out laughing.
Honestly, I wasn't looking forward to the coming weeks.
Chioma only had about three months left before her POP.
Me, I still had plenty of time ahead.
Suddenly, one of the department heads entered the office.
"Chioma, what are you doing here?"
The woman didn't even wait for an answer.
"Have you finished the assignment I gave you?"
Chioma practically flew out of the office.
I watched her leave.
Wow.
People were really taking this thing seriously.
I can't wait to meet this man.
Wait.
Dewa.
Careful what you wish for.
Actually, I don't want to meet him.
At least not personally.
Let us simply avoid each other until I complete my service.
That arrangement works perfectly for me.
I looked around the office one last time.
The transformation was unbelievable.
The same people who normally strolled in whenever they liked were seated and working before 9 a.m.
The chatterboxes had gone silent.
The corridors were empty.
Even laughter seemed to need official approval.
Wow.
One person entered and changed the atmosphere of an entire office in less than a week.
Fear really is an effective motivator.
As I watched everyone typing away with unusual dedication, another thought occurred to me.
Maybe this new director wasn't the problem.
Maybe we were the problem all along.
Then another thought followed immediately.
No.
He's still the problem.
Because if this man thinks he'll stress me on top of ₦77,000, he has another thing coming.
The only prayer in my heart now was simple:
Dear God, please don't let this man know my face.
Unfortunately, life has a habit of answering prayers with the exact opposite.
And very soon, I was about to find that out.
End of Episode 7
To be continued…
If you enjoyed this episode, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave a comment and share the story with someone who loves a good story.
Continue Reading
Previous: ⬅️Episode 6: Neighbors from Hell (or Heaven?)
Next: ➡️Episode 8: Corper Goes to Church
Comments
Post a Comment