MY NAME, MY PERSONALITY?
Photo Credit: Pexels
I have heard many times that a man's name speaks to his character.
A few letters put together, yet they seem to shape one's destiny.
Most times, it appears to be true.
I mean, when you see Goodluck excelling in competitions,
or Miracle surrounded by wonders,
you pause and wonder if there is more to a name than mere identity.
But what then happens when Peace is a troublemaker,
or Comfort turns out to be a disappointment?
Perhaps names are not always prophecies.
Perhaps they are simply expectations.
Do names shape people?
Do people shape the meaning of their names?
Or is it simply coincidence?
Usually, we have no choice in the name we bear.
It is given before we can speak,
before we can decide who we want to become.
But sometimes, life offers us another chance.
A name from a novel caught my attention.
I liked the character.
Without even finding out what the name meant,
I chose to answer by it.
When the opportunity came, I embraced it without hesitation.
Much later, I discovered what the name meant.
It made me smile—not because I suddenly believed names determine destiny, but because it reminded me that sometimes we grow into the things we embrace.
Still, I cannot help but wonder…
Should a man strive to live according to his name, or live in such a way that his name comes to reflect who he is?

I don't think names do justice to ones' behavior but upbringing and environment do.
ReplyDeleteI have seen STONE that is very humble and quite, I feel names are given as Trademark/Identity which doesn't determine how your future life is going to be.
In everything one do, moral values and humanity are sine qua non.
Glad to hear your opinion
Delete