Not Everyone Familiar Is a Friend
A few years ago in university, I was in my hostel one day, talking on the phone with someone. While we were talking, a girl nearby was making noise. The person I was speaking with asked who was making the noise, and I casually replied, “Oh, it’s my neighbour.”
Immediately, the girl reacted.
“I’m your neighbour?” she asked, sounding almost offended.
After the call ended, I had to spend time explaining that I did not mean it in a negative way. But she kept repeating, “So I’m your neighbour?”
I think what she expected me to say was that she was my friend.
But the truth was, she was not my friend.
Not because she was a bad person. Not because we did not get along. We talked, we laughed, and we shared some moments together, but those things did not automatically make her my friend.
If I was going through something difficult, she would not be the first person I would think of. If I needed help, she would not be the first person I would call. Our relationship was based on proximity and familiarity, not necessarily deep friendship.
And there is nothing wrong with that.
There is a difference between a friend and a familiar person.
Most times, we confuse the two. We assume that because someone is always around us, talks to us, laughs with us, or shares certain moments with us, that person automatically becomes our friend.
But the truth is, not everyone who comes into your life is meant to stay. Not everyone you talk to, smile with, eat with, or laugh with is your friend.
Some people are simply familiar.
Am I saying that familiarity can never grow into something meaningful? Of course not.
Many genuine friendships begin with simple acquaintance, proximity, or everyday interactions. A neighbour can become a close friend, and an acquaintance can eventually become family in the heart. My point is simply that familiarity and friendship are not automatically the same thing. Some relationships grow deeper with time, while others remain pleasant but surface-level, and it is important to know the difference.
So, what exactly is the difference between a friend and a familiar person?
A familiar person is someone you know. Someone whose presence has become part of your everyday life. You may have conversations with them, share jokes, and even know certain details about their lives. They may know your full name, and you may know theirs.
But friendship goes deeper than familiarity.
A friend is someone you trust. Someone you can run to when life becomes difficult. Someone you think about when you need support, advice, or comfort. A friend is not just someone who shares your happy moments; a friend is someone who can stand with you during your difficult ones.
Sometimes, people enter our lives because of circumstances. We meet people because we live in the same environment, attend the same school, work in the same place, or share the same social circle. These people become part of our daily lives, but that does not always mean they become our friends.
Sometimes, when people call someone a friend, another label is actually more accurate: colleague, coursemate, neighbour, roommate, or simply an acquaintance.
We often use the word friend because we do not want to offend people. We do not want someone to feel bad by admitting that, although we know them and appreciate them, we do not share a deep friendship with them.
But knowing someone is not the same as being close to someone.
Laughing with someone is not the same as trusting someone.
Spending time with someone is not the same as having a true friendship with them.
As we grow older, we begin to understand that our circle does not have to be large. It is not about how many people know us or how many people we go out with. It is about the people who truly show up, the people we can be vulnerable with, and the people who genuinely care about our journey.
Not every familiar face is a friend.
Some people are beautiful parts of our experiences, but they are only meant to be chapters, not the whole story.
And that is okay.
The question is: Do we truly know the difference between the people around us and the people we can call friends?
What helps you know when someone is truly a friend and not just a familiar face? Let’s hear your thoughts in the comments.
Photo Credit: Pexels
Comments
Post a Comment