DIARY OF A CORPER — EPISODE 20: I LIKE FEMI
It had been a week since the birthday party, and I had been avoiding Bassey like the plague. It was even easier now that Chioma had stopped coming to the office. Her passing-out parade was in two weeks, and she had stopped reporting to work after getting her terminal clearance. So, it gave me a convenient excuse for no longer staying back after work.
Bassey’s confession had changed the atmosphere between all of us. The little warmth and attention I used to get from Femi seemed to have disappeared. It was as if he was avoiding me too.
That silence disturbed me the most.
That Monday morning, all corps members were asked to report to the NYSC secretariat. We were informed that the Director-General of NYSC would be visiting Lokoja, so all corps members serving there had to welcome him.
I wasn’t even excited about the news. I now enjoyed going to work so much that I didn’t want to exchange it for sitting down for hours at the secretariat, doing almost nothing. Besides, I already knew how African time worked at our activities, yet we would still be threatened to come early.
This man should have just waited one more week for the NYSC orientation camp in Kabba to open so he could visit the new corps members instead. When I thought I was going to see him during my batch’s orientation camp, he didn’t come.
Why now?
When I got to the venue, Mr Tony asked me to join the ushers for the event. Ever since I became an executive in my CDS, I had been more involved in CDS activities, which meant interacting more with NYSC officials in Lokoja.
So, I joined the other corps members selected for ushering. We were responsible for welcoming people, maintaining protocol, and making sure everything was in order.
Corps members were seated on plastic chairs arranged under different canopies. CDS presidents moved around with attendance sheets.
What is an NYSC event in Lokoja without attendance?
That threat was what made us attend events, except you didn’t mind facing Mr Tony’s wahala during monthly biometrics.
After what felt like an eternity of waiting, the DG finally arrived with his entourage.
The event began.
Several NYSC officials in Lokoja were present, along with military personnel and a few important personalities. They welcomed him, and when it was time for his speech, he spoke about entrepreneurship. He encouraged us to embrace it as corps members and not depend entirely on the jobs waiting outside after service.
I admired him from where I stood.
Honestly, the man is fine.
I mean, I had seen his pictures countless times on blogs and NYSC pages, but they did not do him justice at all. Plus, he looked so young.
Towards the end of the event, he gave corps entrepreneurs who had brought their businesses to the venue ₦25,000 each.
Shey if I had known, I would have started selling chin-chin the week before.
I met Taiwo outside the venue after the event. We had occasionally exchanged glances while I carried out my ushering duties. She asked if I was going home, and I said yes.
She suggested we take a bike together. The main road just outside the gate was crowded with corps members trying to get a keke or flag down a bike.
I agreed.
The ride home was silent. We didn’t say a word to each other.
We got down at the gate. I paid the bike man before he zoomed off. Taiwo reached into her bag to give me her share of the money, but I declined.
“No, don’t worry,” I said.
“No, take.” She tried to put the money in my hand.
“Taiwo, it’s okay.”
“Alright, thank you.”
“You’re welcome.” I flashed her a quick smile.
We entered the compound. I was about to head towards my room when she called out to me.
“Dewa.”
I turned. “Yes?”
She looked at me for a few seconds before speaking.
“I know I haven’t been nice to you these days.”
Wow.
What am I hearing?
“I just got so confused. I didn’t know that you and Bassey—”
Uhn? Where is this going?
Me and Bassey?
I looked at her, my eyes widening, urging her to finish.
“I didn’t know Bassey likes you,” she continued. “I thought something was going on between you and Femi.”
My head suddenly felt hot.
“Wait, Taiwo.” I held up a hand.
“So what you’re telling me is that you stopped talking to me because you thought Femi and I were dating, even after I explained everything, and now you’re apologising because what? You think it’s me and Bassey?”
I stared at her, hoping she would say something different.
She didn’t.
“Taiwo, why are you so selfish?”
The words escaped before I could stop them.
Well, Dewa, now that it’s out, say your whole mind.
“You ignored me because of a guy, and now you’re apologising because of another guy. So if Bassey wasn’t in the picture, we would have continued like this, right?”
I realised my voice had risen. Honestly, I didn’t care. A few people walked past us, but I was too angry to think about my surroundings.
“Okay, I’m sorry to disappoint you, Taiwo, but I like Femi.”
She looked at me, stunned by my outburst.
For a few seconds, neither of us spoke.
I could see the questions forming in her eyes, but for once, I didn’t feel the need to explain myself.
I had said it.
I like Femi.
Maybe saying it out loud made it more real, but strangely, it also made me feel lighter.
I turned and walked towards my room, leaving Taiwo standing in the middle of the compound.
For the first time in a long while, I wasn’t trying to hide how I felt or worrying about what anyone would think.
I had finally admitted the truth to someone else.
And, perhaps more importantly, to myself.
End of Episode 20
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Episode 20 is the final Diary of a Corper episode published on the blog.
Thank you for reading, laughing, worrying, and growing with Dewa.
The rest of her story is waiting for you in Diary of a Corper—the complete book.
The full story is coming. Keep an eye out for the announcement.
The blog episodes end here. The story doesn’t.
If you enjoyed this episode, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave a comment and share the story with someone who loves a good story.
Previous:⬅️ Episode 19: Truth or Dare
Comments
Post a Comment