DIARY OF A CORPER — EPISODE 17: YOU CAN TELL ME ANYTHING
I had made every attempt to settle things with Taiwo, but it seemed like she was already determined to have nothing to do with me.
Even though I had an idea of what the issue was, I wasn’t entirely sure if that was the reason Taiwo had decided to distance herself from me.
Still, it wasn’t as if we had fought. She was the one who had a problem with me. If she wanted us to settle, fine. If not, I would simply maintain the same energy she was giving me—say hello once in a while and go about my business.
That evening, I returned from the midweek programme at my church and noticed a big truck in front of the house. People were carrying things from the truck into the compound—beds, fans, a wardrobe, and other items.
As I entered the compound, I wondered if someone was moving in.
Then I saw Femi, who was about to head out.
“Hey,” he said as soon as I got closer.
“Good evening,” I replied. “What’s going on?”
“Oh, some people are moving in.”
Bassey appeared out of nowhere and beamed at me.
“Some people?” I asked.
“Yes, two ladies,” Femi replied.
“I heard they’re corpers,” Bassey chipped in.
“Oh, are they taking the room Mr Kojo packed out of?”
Femi nodded.
“I’ve not seen them sha, but I hope they’re fine,” Bassey said.
“Why?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.
“We need more fine girls in this compound.”
I hissed.
Femi was about to walk away when Bassey called after him.
“Femi, abeg don’t forget that thing o.”
Femi nodded.
“You’re going out?” I asked.
He stopped and looked at me.
“Yes. Want to come?”
Huh?
Was he seriously asking me to follow him?
Bassey looked from Femi to me, waiting for my answer.
“Where are you going to?” I asked again.
“You’ll have to come and see.”
I followed him outside the compound without even dropping my bag.
We strolled out together. It was already late evening. The sun was setting, and darkness was creeping in quickly.
We walked out of our street until we got to the main road. He switched positions and made me stay on the inner side while he walked closer to the traffic.
“How was your day?” Femi asked, glancing at me.
“Fine,” I answered, then looked at him. “How was yours?”
“It was okay.”
“So where are you coming from?” Femi asked.
“Church.”
“Oh wow.” He glanced at me. “Dewa goes to church on weekdays now?”
I laughed. “What do you mean? I’m not a serious Christian?”
“Did I say that?”
“You implied it.”
He smiled. “Did you pray for me?”
“Next time, follow me and pray for yourself.”
He placed a hand on his chest and shook his head.
“Wow. Shade.”
I smiled.
“Anyway, it was just Bible study.”
“Okay,” he said, nodding slightly.
We walked for a while, talking only occasionally as the evening traffic flowed by.
Lights glowed from buildings across the road, and the streetlights cast a warm brightness over the main road.
I took in the scenery. Lokoja can be beautiful at night.
Some minutes later, we arrived at a big supermarket.
I almost hissed.
So this boy came to buy something and asked me to follow him?
Wait, Dewa, he didn’t actually ask me. I followed him out of curiosity.
Now I had only myself to blame.
Instead of being in my room, probably resting or eating, I was here, most likely to help Femi carry his things.
He took a large trolley basket and began dropping things into it one after another. I followed him through the aisles as he kept picking items.
He turned to me.
“Don’t you need anything?”
“No,” I replied without thinking.
He smiled and continued shopping.
I was surprised by the number of provisions and other necessities he bought.
Later, when it was time to pay, he asked the lady at the counter to pack some of the items in separate nylon bags.
When we finished, we stepped outside. Since we had walked there, I assumed we would walk back too.
Instead, he flagged down a keke.
He told the rider exactly where we were going and added, “Na drop.”
“Two thousand,” the rider said.
“No wahala,” Femi replied.
We got in and arranged the nylon bags carefully at the back of the seat before settling inside the keke.
The ride home was very quiet.
When we got to the house, we came down and picked up the bags. Femi had three different bags with him, and I was holding one.
Looking at how bulky they were, I asked,
“Should I help with one?”
“No, don’t bother.”
We entered the compound. His block was next to mine, so I thought we were going there first so I could drop his things. Instead, he headed straight towards my room.
He dropped the bags on the terrace and leaned against the iron rail. I dropped mine as well, wondering where this was going.
Then he looked at me for a moment. I didn’t know where to look, so I began to fiddle with the bracelet I was wearing.
“Are you okay?” he asked.
“What?”
“It looks like something is bothering you. Something you’re not telling me.”
What was he talking about? Could it be the issue with Taiwo? No, I didn’t think so. Femi wasn’t the type to meddle.
“I don’t understand what you are saying.”
“Adeewa.”
Huh?
My chest tightened unexpectedly. Only my family calls me that.
I looked at him, stunned.
“You know you can always tell me anything, right?” he said.
I stared at him for a moment before nodding.
He sighed.
“Okay,” he said quietly. “See you tomorrow. Goodnight.”
He picked up the bags and turned to leave.
“Femi.”
“Uhn?”
“Your stuff.”
I picked up the bag I had been holding earlier and stretched it out to him.
“It’s yours.”
“What?”
“I picked them out for you,” he replied casually.
And without saying anything else, he walked away.
I stood there for a few seconds, still holding the big bag, my brain refusing to process what had just happened.
Mine?
I looked inside.
Noodles, spaghetti, detergent, cereal, milk, biscuits, chocolate, tissue papers, toothpaste… even groundnuts.
This boy bought provisions for me and was acting as if it was the most normal thing in the world.
I looked towards his block. He had already entered.
I carried the bag into my room. I dropped it on the bed and sat.
I still couldn’t believe it, so I opened the bag and checked the contents once more.
I smiled.
So this was why he was separating the bags at the counter.
And what was that with my name? He had never called me that way before. I kind of liked how it sounded on his lips.
Adeewa.
A small smile crept onto my face before I could stop it.
But what struck me the most was not the provisions, not the supermarket, not even the name.
It was the fact that Femi wanted me to confide in him.
The words kept replaying in my head.
You know you can always tell me anything, right?
For the first time, I found myself wondering if maybe… just maybe… I wanted to.
End of Episode 17
To be continued…
If you enjoyed this episode, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave a comment and share the story with someone who loves a good story.
Previous:⬅️ Episode 16: More Than a Corper
Next: ➡️Episode 18:Becoming
Comments
Post a Comment