Speak with Purpose: Breaking the Habit of Filler Words




Growing up, I was the type of person who followed trends. I always wanted to fit in, to show that I could do what everyone else was doing. That attitude influenced many areas of my life, including the way I spoke. I was constantly trying to sound "woke" or trendy.

Then came a time when I started using words like "basically." It sounded nice, so I found myself using it in almost every sentence. I also developed the habit of saying, "I was like..." and "She was like..."

For example, instead of saying, I told her to go home, and she said no, I would say, I was like, "Go home," and she was like, "No."

At first, it didn't seem like a big deal. After all, everyone around me spoke that way. But over time, I realized these were filler words—words or phrases we throw into conversations out of habit rather than necessity. They add little or no value to what we are trying to communicate.

Why Do We Use Filler Words?

Sometimes we're buying time to think. Other times, we're simply copying the speech patterns of people around us. In many cases, we don't even realize we're doing it until someone points it out or we hear ourselves in a recording.

Common Filler Words

· Basically

· Like

· You know

· I mean

· Literally (when used unnecessarily)

· Do you get?

· Right?

· Umm...

· Ahh...

· And so on.

Filler words are not inherently bad. Even experienced speakers use them occasionally.

However, when these words become excessive, they distract your listeners. Instead of focusing on your message, people begin to notice your speaking habits.

Imagine you're pitching an idea to a client, defending your final-year project, or giving an important presentation. If every other sentence is filled with "I was like...", "They were like...", "Basically...", or "Do you get?", your audience may lose focus. Your message becomes less convincing—not because your ideas are poor, but because your delivery is cluttered.

The goal isn't to eliminate every filler word. The goal is to become conscious of them so that our words are intentional and meaningful.

The next time you speak, pay attention to the words you repeat without thinking. You may be surprised by how often they appear. Removing unnecessary fillers won't just make you sound more confident—it will also make your message clearer and more impactful.

How to Reduce Filler Words

· Slow down when you speak. Silence is better than unnecessary words.

· Record yourself during conversations or presentations and listen for repeated expressions.

· Ask a trusted friend to point out your common filler words.

· Replace "um" or "ahh" with a brief pause.

A Simple Challenge

Pay attention to your conversations today. Which word or phrase do you repeat without realizing it? Is it "basically," "like," "you know," "actually," or something else?

Once you identify it, you're already halfway to breaking the habit.

"The strongest speakers aren't those who use the most words; they're those who make every word count."

"Speak to express, not merely to fill the silence."

 



Join the Conversation

What's your most-used filler word?

Share it in the comments. You might discover you're not the only one trying to break the habit.

 

Photo Credit: Pexels

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog