I AM A WOMAN
With cries announcing my arrival,
My father looked into my eyes.
His smile never quite reached them.
Because I am a woman.
My brother and I played in the sand,
Then Mother called me away.
"Adunni, come with me to the kitchen." Why?
Because I am a woman.
In a world still ruled by men,
I fight every day to earn my place.
I must work twice as hard to receive the same respect.
Because I am a woman.
I'm told my time is running out.
They measure my worth by the ring I do not wear.
Their whispers grow louder each passing year.
Because I am a woman.
I leave the home that raised me,
To build another with the one I love.
Even my father's name is no longer mine.
Because I am a woman.
We both shared the pleasure,
Yet only my body bears the proof.
Through pain and sacrifice, I bring forth new life.
Because I am a woman.
And still, they ask why women are celebrated,
"What makes them so special?" they wonder.
Perhaps I know the answer all too well.
Because I am a woman.
This poem is more than a celebration—it is a reflection on strength, sacrifice, dreams, and identity.
Which stanza spoke to you the most, and why? Let’s talk in the comments.
Featured Image: AI-generated

Comments
Post a Comment