From Cardboard Books to a Blog
Yesterday, I scrolled through my Facebook page. Seeing old posts and pictures made me realize how much I have grown, not just as an individual but as a writer. I laughed at many of my old posts, reading them aloud and saying to myself, "Deborah, you actually posted this?"
Today, as I began reviving my social media platforms after leaving them inactive for so long, I came across some of my old pieces. Reading them made me realize just how much I have improved over the years.
It also reminded me of something we often overlook: we hardly celebrate the little victories. We are so focused on where we want to be that we forget to appreciate how far we have already come. We say, "By now, I should have achieved this," or "I should be doing better than this." But growth is happening, even when it feels slow.
I smiled as I remembered the little girl who spent her days writing short stories. I would use my dad's stapler to fasten pieces of cardboard together and proudly call them my storybooks. Whenever he refused to buy more stapler pins because I had used them all, I improvised by using broom sticks to hold the pages together. Sometimes, I even refused to let my friends read my stories unless they paid me 10 naira. Looking back now, I laugh at it all. How valuable 10 naira felt back then!
Today, the cardboard books are gone. The broom sticks and stapler pins are gone too. But the little girl who loved telling stories is still here—she just tells them on a blog now.
Sometimes, the best thing you can do is pause and look back. When you reflect on how far you've come, you begin to appreciate the quiet power of growth. And when you appreciate your growth, you find fresh reasons to thank God for every step of the journey.
So today, before you compare yourself with someone else's journey, take a moment to look back at your own. You may not be where you dream of being yet, but chances are you're no longer where you started. And that alone is worth thanking God for.
What memory reminds you of how far you've come? I'd love to hear it in the comments.

Comments
Post a Comment