DIARY OF A CORPER — EPISODE 9: SOMETHING IS GOING ON
I came back from church that Sunday with Taiwo, and it was actually very nice.
I had expected drama—maybe because drama never seemed to stop happening anywhere I went since I moved to Lokoja. Surprisingly, everything felt normal. I felt at home.
The church was moderate in size—not too large, not too small either. The people were very welcoming, the sermon was wonderful and, most importantly, we didn't stay too long. By exactly 11:25 a.m., we were already sharing the grace.
Now, that's my kind of Sunday service.
Throughout the service, Taiwo kept stealing glances at me. It was obvious she was trying to read my expressions after every segment, waiting to know whether I liked the church or not.
The moment the service ended, she couldn't wait any longer.
"So... how was it?" she asked.
Before I could answer, one of the ministers welcomed me as a first-timer and asked me a few questions. He wanted to know what part of the service I enjoyed the most.
"The sermon... the choir ministration... and the drama presentation," I replied.
He smiled.
"So, will we be seeing you again?"
Before I could answer, I looked at Taiwo.
The way she was staring at me, you'd think her entire future depended on whatever came out of my mouth next.
"Yes," I finally said.
Her face lit up immediately.
On our way home, I checked the first-timers' package they had given me.
It was actually nice.
Not as glamorous as Mrs. Ajayi's church, but nice enough.
I think I just found myself a church.
As we walked home, I commented on the fine guy who had led the choir ministration.
"So," she said, "have you joined the train too?"
"What train?" I asked.
"The train of the countless girls in church crushing on him."
I laughed.
"Including you?" I asked.
She shook her head immediately.
"No, me ke? My crush is Femi."
That answer...
Hmm.
I didn't really know what to say.
I thought finding a church meant the drama in my life was finally over.
Little did I know it had simply been waiting patiently for me at home.
That evening, Taiwo, Bassey and I were outside in the compound talking about NYSC, Lokoja and every other random thing that came to mind.
At some point, I felt something enter my eye and winced.
"I think something entered my eye," I muttered, rubbing it gently.
"Don't touch it," Bassey said. "Stay still."
He leaned over and gently blew into my eye.
"There," he said. "Better?"
I blinked a couple of times.
"Yeah. Thanks."
As he returned to his seat, we noticed Taiwo wearing a mischievous grin.
"Madam, why are you smiling like that?" I asked.
She pointed at both of us.
"See the way he rushed to save you."
I rolled my eyes.
"He only helped remove something from my eye."
She ignored me.
"If it were me, he would have left me there to suffer."
Bassey laughed.
"See this girl o."
"I'm serious," she said. "Can you people just date already? You guys look cute together."
"You and who?" I said, smiling. "You've started again."
Bassey shook his head.
"Abeg, leave us."
"I'm serious."
She wasn't done.
"And NYSC would even support your marriage. Yoruba weds Akwa Ibom."
"Support us how?" I asked.
She looked at Bassey.
"Have you forgotten the couple they invited during our batch camp? The husband and wife who met in camp? They gave them ₦500,000 because they were from different tribes."
Bassey nodded.
"I remember."
"But we didn't meet in camp," I said.
Taiwo shrugged.
"What's the difference? You people are still serving. Abeg, marry and collect money, make we share am."
"So na my own marriage you wan use do business?" Bassey asked.
We all burst into laughter.
Just then, Femi walked into the compound.
He greeted us and was about to head to his room when Taiwo called out.
"Femi."
"Yes?"
She pointed at Bassey and me.
"Don't they look good together for marriage?"
Femi looked at both of us before answering.
I waited for him to laugh.
Or say something sarcastic.
Instead, he simply said,
"I don't know."
His tone was flat.
No smile.
No joke.
Nothing.
The laughter faded.
Femi continued to his room.
Bassey quickly changed the subject, steering the conversation away from the marriage discussion.
We all joined in, but something had changed.
It was subtle, but the atmosphere wasn't quite the same anymore.
I couldn't explain it.
As Femi disappeared into the house, I caught one last glimpse of his face.
His expression was a little too serious.
Something was definitely going on.
End of Episode 9
To be continued…
If you enjoyed this episode, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave a comment and share the story with someone who loves a good story.
Continue Reading
Previous:⬅️ Episode 8: Corper Goes To Church
Next: ➡️Episode 10: Clearance Gone Wrong
Comments
Post a Comment