An Esther Moment



Growing up, I always thought Queen Vashti was the villain whenever the story of Esther was told. But as an adult, I found myself defending her.

I mean, walk through this with me. Your husband throws a party, gathers all his friends, gets drunk, and then sends for you to come and parade yourself before them. Ah ah! Me? When I'm not an escort? Why exactly should I leave my own party to entertain grown men because the king has had too much wine?

We know what happened next. She refused, and for that single decision, she lost her crown. Eventually, her royal position was given to another woman. All because she refused to do what she believed would demean her. If this happened today, social media would probably explode with debates about women’s rights and gender equality.

But this isn't about gender equality.

It's about God’s favour.

A few weeks ago, I read the book of Esther again, and this time, something stood out to me that never had before.

The Bible never stated that Esther was the most beautiful woman in the kingdom. She couldn't possibly have been the only young woman with good character among the countless girls brought into the palace. Yet, somehow, she found favour. Not because she was the obvious choice, but because she was God's choice.

She found favour with Hegai, the official in charge of the women. She found favour with everyone who saw her. And eventually, she found favour with the king.

That's God.

Favour isn't merely being liked. It's God arranging people, places, and timing for His purpose.

But here's another thought that struck me.

Before Esther's favour became visible, Vashti's crown had to become vacant.

I'm not saying God caused Vashti's downfall. What I am saying is that God is so sovereign that He can use human decisions to accomplish His divine purpose. What looked like the end of one chapter became the beginning of another.

Maybe today you're wondering why someone else got the opportunity, why a door closed, or why your own "Vashti moment" happened. It hurts. I know. I understand. And it's okay to acknowledge that.

But what if God is arranging an "Esther moment" that you cannot yet see?

Esther's story reminds us that favour is not something we force. It is something God gives in His own time and for His own purpose. Sometimes, it simply means being where He has ordained you to be when the time is right.

So if life isn't making sense right now, don't lose heart.

The same God who positioned Esther is still in the business of positioning people today. His favour has a way of reaching you at the right place, through the right people, at exactly the right time.

And when it does, what seemed impossible suddenly becomes your testimony.


 

We often pray for God's favour, but have you ever experienced favour in a way you didn't recognize at first?

I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments. ��


Featured image: AI-generated

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog